About the OPS Standards Management Committee
Ontario Provincial Standards for Roads and Public Works (OPS) is owned jointly by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation and the Municipal Engineers Association. Of equal importance is the involvement and support of many other organizations representing contractors, consulting engineers, manufacturers, and their associations.
OPS have been in use since 1984. Alliances between the noted organizations and the OPS Advisory Board have allowed OPS to evolve into an excellent model of construction standards development, now characterized by consistently well built, cost-effective, safe, and dependable highways and roads in the province.
The Ontario Provincial Standards Unit, part of the ministry’s Design and Contract Standards Office of the Provincial Highways Management Division, manages the development and production of construction drawings, construction and material specifications, and contract tendering documents for road works. Additionally, the unit has responsibility for channeling Ontario road products evaluation through external agencies and liaising with an external sources registry holder.
The OPS Standards Management Committee (SMC) is responsible for reviewing and approving municipal specifications and drawings as prepared by the OPS Specialty Committees. ACEC-Ontario has the opportunity to appoint one (1) member company employee to act as a representative on behalf of the association and its members. The SMC may refer newly published OPSS.PROV specifications to an OPS Specialty Committee to determine whether a municipal specification (OPSS.MUNI) should be created or revised. The SMC encourages increased usage of standard specifications to minimize the need for the use of contract special provisions.
Key Volunteer Responsibilities:
- Review and approval of municipal specifications and drawings as prepared by the OPS Specialty Committees
- Formulate and recommend policy to the OPS AB and implement approved policy
- Provide direction to and coordinate the activities of the OPS Specialty Committees
- Promote knowledge, acceptance and use of the OPS throughout the Province of Ontario
- Liaise with interested organizations that use OPS and groups providing input or requesting revisions to the standards
- Ensure standards meet the needs of users and are current with technology, materials and construction practice.
- Address general issues related to OPS and comment on OPS activities in general
- Review all OPS Specialty Committee minutes
- Attend all committee meetings
- Representatives serve for a minimum of two (2) years
- Attend annual in-person meeting (if COVID regulations allow) typically held in Oakville
- Attend approximately 6 online meetings each year
- Meeting duration is approximately two (2) hours each
- An Engineer with municipal design experience preferred
- Must be an employee of an ACEC-Ontario member firm
- Opportunity to directly contribute to important industry standards within the Province of Ontario that will prove beneficial to all stakeholders and the industry as a whole.
- Eligible to receive volunteer recognition and appreciation benefits from ACEC-Ontario
- Expand your network with key industry stakeholders and other colleagues who hold ACEC-Ontario membership.
- No open vacancies at this time