As of December 20th, the decision has been made to host all in-person MTO courses online. Given the current climate of COVID-19, ACEC-Ontario has made the decision that the 2022 MTO courses will be delivered online. The health and safety of our instructors and participants is of the upmost importance, considering the uncertain environment, changing guidelines and participants comfort level the decision has been made to switch to a virtual platform and to adjust the timelines to accommodate for this education setting.
Participants will have 4 hours of virtual classroom time a day, for 8 days, starting at 10:00 AM finishing at 3:00 PM. This includes an hour lunch break from 12:00-1:00 PM. The exam taking place on the 9th day. The final exam will be open book and you will have up to 4 hours to complete the exam, the same as it in the in-person class setting. Participants will have the exams emailed to them at 8:00 AM the day of the exam and will be expected to have their finished exam emailed back to by 12:00 PM the same day. Additional exam details will be released during the course
New Dates and Registration Price:
- Highway Construction Inspection will now be held Monday, January 31, 2022, to Thursday, February 10, 2022, excluding weekends.
- ACEC-Ontario member firm $1550 +HST
- Non members $1700 +HST
About Highway Construction Inspection
This course is intended for personnel at the junior inspector level, with 1-2 years of field experience, who want to advance to the senior inspector level or for contract administration personnel who wish to enhance their understanding of the contract inspection and administration process. Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO) construction personnel with responsibilities for consultant assignments will also benefit from this course. With appropriate field experience, this course is approved to meet part of the criteria of the MTO/OACETT Road Construction Senior Inspector (RCSI) designation. This course is a prerequisite for Contract Administration course.
- Roles and Responsibilities
- OHSA – Site Safety and the Constructor Issue
- Pre-Construction Activities
- Traffic Control and Construction Signing
- Construction Survey
- Grading, Drainage and Granular Inspection
- Documentation and Diary Keeping
- Hot Mix Paving Inspection
- Payment Verification
- Concrete and Structural Inspection
- Contractor QC – QVE
- Post Construction Activities
- Construction Administration and Inspection Task Manual
See more details about all MTO courses here.
ACEC-Ontario and our MTO instructors are working to make this shift to a virtual classroom as seamless as possible. In order for participant to be maximize their experience we strongly recommend the following:
- All participants will need access to a dependable computer that is capable of running the Zoom application and reliable internet connection. Please visit here for more detailed information on running the Zoom application: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-requirements-for-Windows-macOS-and-Linux
- All participants must be computer proficient with the ability to comfortably switch between zoom screen and digital reference materials OR have a secondary device for the reference materials/manual, OR the ability to print off the materials at their own cost.
- For those who are taking the courses outside of the OACETT designation system, it is highly recommended that this year you have a basic understanding of Highway Construction Inspection before you take Contract Administration.
- Please remember our MTO instructors are not IT personnel and are not able to answer any IT questions about zoom webinar of the participants computer/internet.
All participants will be sent a digital manual, a paired down reference file, and a zoom link the week leading to the course. Additional instructions will be available in the new year.
As stated before, the health and safety of all in attendance is incredibly important to ACEC-Ontario and we will endeavour to make the transition to an online delivery as smooth as possible.
- Courses must be paid in full. Failure to submit payment will result in the registration being cancelled, as waiting lists are maintained.
- Cancellations received in writing, more than 10 business days prior to the start of the course will be assessed a $100.00 cancellation fee (per person, per course). Please notify Lauryn Weinberger (firstname.lastname@example.org) of cancellations.
- Cancellations received less than 10 business days prior to the start of the course are non-refundable. Refunds will not be given if the registrant fails to attend any part of the course.
- Qualified substitutions are allowed within the same course and date without incurring a cancellation fee. Please notify Lauryn Weinberger (email@example.com) of substitution notice prior to the start of the course.